Being an entrepreneur is like being left handed. You are or you’re not. While it’s something you can become better at, I am not sure it’s something you can become.
Most of us are best working within an existing structure. All that said, there is no better or worse here. In fact, the life of an entrepreneur is fraught with peril and downside – and sleepless nights staring at the ceiling wondering how to make payroll. Here are a few questions you might ask yourself. Answer ‘yes’ to two or more and it’s likely you have the curse.
- Are you comfortable with big risk and uncertainty?
- Have you ever thought of yourself as ‘unemployable’?
- Are you distracted by big ideas?
- Are you ok doing everything a business requires – from legal to sales?
- Are you deaf to ‘no’ and ‘I can’t’?
- Could you care less about a steady pay cheque?
- Do you know ‘why’ you want to start a business?
- Do you lack confidence – but keep going anyway?
- Is this something you can’t not do?
- Do you realize your mum and dad likely won’t approve?